In the 2018 financial year Bild-Kunst has already been able to distribute EUR 135 million to its members in the form of special distributions for previous years of usage. The last tranche of EUR 21 million was distributed in the second half of October. A total distribution of more than EUR 155 million in a year is an absolute record!
The distribution volume will rise still further when Bild-Kunst undertakes the regular distributions for the 2017 year of usage over the coming weeks. However, it will not be possible to make these distributions by the date – 30 September 2018 – provided for in the distribution plan.
The delays are predominantly caused by the following:
- Until August 2018 the departments were focused on dealing with the special distributions, which is why a backlog arose in processing the 2017 reports.
- The 2017 year of usage is the first year in which the new distribution plan of Bild-Kunst has been applicable in full. The last major amendments were only approved by the general meeting at the end of July 2018. The new, revised rules entail reprogramming the software, but the special distributions have meant that only some of the preparatory work has been done so far.
- The time limit for reporting for key distribution lines in the visual arts and images groups ran out on 31 August 2018, so that although the data were recorded, it has not yet been possible to verify them finally.
- Bild-Kunst is currently in the process of planning for new software. This special work will likewise require resources.
At present, the plans for upcoming distributions are as follows:
1) PG I: First rights
The distributions for reproduction rights and resale rights were made on time in April and June of this year.
2) PG I: Art Presentations
The art presentations distribution have been made by the end of April 2019.
3) PG I: Surcharge distribution
The surcharge distribution was done at the beginning of September 2019.
4) PG II: Distributions for Books and Periodicals (Print)
The distributions were all made between mid-June and mid-July 2019.
5) PG II: Distributions for websites
Income for 2016 has been already distributed in mid February 2019. Income for 2017 has been already distributed by the end of March 2019.
6) PG III: Broadcast year 2017
Due to the acceleration of the new distribution plan, the revenues for 2017 are not supposed to be paid out in summer 2019, which was the case in the past, but actually should be distributed on September 30, 2018. This date could unfortunately not be met. According to current plans the distribution documents will be mailed by Thursday, 7th November.
7) BG III: Distribution of foreign money
The distribution of foreign money is currently running on schedule.